Macungie was first settled by Pennsylvania German immigrants around the year 1735. In 1875, the borough was renamed Macungie. It’s the second oldest borough in Lehigh County, and its total area is one square mile. Macungie is a Lenape Native American phrase that means "feeding place of the Bears." The 42-acre Macungie Memorial Park is within walking distance of any part of the Borough and offers a swimming pool, basketball courts, tennis courts, picnic pavilions, ball fields, a gymnasium, banquet room and meeting rooms. It also has substantial areas of tree-shaded lawn for walking and taking in nature. One of the most popular activities held there is Das Awkscht Fescht (The August Festival). Although the antique auto show is the main attraction, other events include the Antique Truck Show, the Wheels of Time Custom Car Show, dog shows, cruise nights, flea markets and more.